O.C.P.D./A.P.D. Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our purpose is to provide support and advice to those struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Anankastic Personality Disorder.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
New Users: You must [1] Register [2] Post to Mission Statement & Guidelines [3] Post an Introduction . . . to be activated as a member. Smile

medication for OCPD?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thea
O.C.P.D. Member
thea

medication for OCPD? Empty
PostSubject: medication for OCPD?   medication for OCPD? EmptySun 12 Dec 2010, 9:03 am

Does anyone have tried something?
I'm on Ritalin because I'm also ADHD and don't want to start antidepressivas right now, specially because I'm not depressed.
Ritalin is in some way helping me to don't get stuck in my thougths and to relax a bit more. I would like to know more about other meds, once my psych is trying to put me on antidepressivas.
Any help?

Thea
Back to top Go down
thefire49
O.C.P.D. Member
thefire49

medication for OCPD? Empty
PostSubject: Re: medication for OCPD?   medication for OCPD? EmptySun 24 Mar 2013, 11:40 pm

I have been on all sorts of anti-depressants over the years. I even tried fluoxetine (prozac) a couple of years back, because I read that lots of people with OCPD had had some good results with it.
I don't consider myself depressed (I have been in the past and I have also had wrong diagnoses also), but sometimes my OCPD symptoms get the better of me and I wonder if there is a pill I could take to help?
I really think medication is an individual thing. Firstly, you have to be comfortable with taking it. Sometimes I found the stress and shame I felt about being on some kind of tablet for a mental health issue to be a huge problem in itself. Misguided as my feelings were.
Many meds work for some people and not others, so it's a bit of trial and error, with finding the right med and the right dosage.
This is really something you need to work out with your doctor. It is such an individual thing, that there is not much anyone here could say that would probably help you.
What I will say though, is there have been some great advancements made in the meds and a lot of them now don't have the side effects that the old fashioned ones had.
So if you think you need some extra help, and you are open to trying an anti-depressant med, you and your doctor are really the only ones who can make an informed decision together.
Good luck xx
Back to top Go down

medication for OCPD?
Page 1 of 1