O.C.P.D./A.P.D. Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our purpose is to provide support and advice to those struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Anankastic Personality Disorder.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
New Users: You must [1] Register [2] Post to Mission Statement & Guidelines [3] Post an Introduction . . . to be activated as a member. Smile

vacations....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doreen
O.C.P.D. Member
Doreen

vacations.... Empty
PostSubject: vacations....   vacations.... EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 5:15 pm

Does anyone have trouble going on vacation??? I would love to be able to relax, but if I am home, there is always something I must do....
I dream about going on vacation, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on myself...I feel like it is a waste. And if I am able to book the vacation, I don't enjoy it because even if I payed for it all ahead of time, as I go along, I am watching the money go bye-bye....
One good example...not that this was a vacation, but it gives you a good idea of what goes on in my head....a few year ago, someone at my church gave me a christmas card....when I got home and opened it up, the card had a $100 visa card inside and the card said that I needed to leard to treat myself better and that I was to use the card to go get a massage.(we had talked about going but I always said I could not waste money like that, even though I wanted one) I held onto that visa card for over 6 months because I could not bring myself to spend it on a massage. I thought about the clothes I could buy with that for my son or countless other things. I finally forced myself to get the massage because I felt it was wrong to use it for something other than what it was given to me for. During the massage, instead of relaxing and enjoying it, I mentally divided my body into sections and gave each part a money value....arms were $10 each, legs $15 each, back $30, neck $10, neck $10 and as she finished each part, I thought to myself, 'well, THAT $10 is gone' etc.....I got up more stressed than when I went in...and now had a migraine....talk about wasting money!
In the same way, vacations are hard to enjoy....all I focus on is the money I am spending....
Does anyone else have this problem and has anyone found a way to enjoy their vacations when they used to not be able to....??
Back to top Go down
brownie
O.C.P.D. Member
brownie

vacations.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: vacations....   vacations.... EmptySat 01 May 2010, 2:04 pm

Something I have tried (and I've done this with everything, buying clothes, presents, going out for the day, etc) is beforehand determining the max amount of money I am willing/able to spend. Then once I determine that, I put that amount aside, separate from my other money. It is no longer considered "mine" at that point. I stop thinking of myself as having as much as I really do because the set-aside money is out of the picture. My safety is the rule that I have to spend it on what I intended. If I cancel that plan, then the money is entered back into the total.

Although I tend to use this as a guideline, I try to make sure I don't be too rigid because that could just cause even more problems. On a whole I've found this works well for me, but then again, I try not to keep to much money since the more I get the more options there are for ways to spend it, unless I have something particular that I am trying to save up for.
Back to top Go down
thea
O.C.P.D. Member
thea

vacations.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: vacations....   vacations.... EmptySun 12 Dec 2010, 8:28 am

Hello Doreen and Sarah,

I'm just new to this forum. I see myself in both situations, but in some way I managed to learn how to spend money and don't care about it. Of course I keep checking prices and always trying to buy the cheapeast I can get. I go on vacations and I do what Sarah wrote - I put an amount aside and this really helps. I do still have problems to enjoy the vacation: all the books, dvd's and games I didn't see, play or read in the last year I just want to fit them all within 10 days of vacation and then it becomes a drama in my head: enjoy the time doing nothing or doing what I am supposed to do on vacation time (reading, watching dvd's, playing, etc)?
We went to a cruise full of facilities and nice things to do and it is ridiculous, I know, but I was going to the gym every day to sport just because I didn't at home. Detail: I have a gym room at home, full of equipments of my husband. It is much more about doing what is right than enjoying the moment.
At some point I get exhausted mentally if I don't do what I planned and I get that empty feeling I waisted all my vacation doing nothing, what I could perfectly do at home...I still think with myself: ok, I'm stupid because I was sporting every morning while being in a wonderful cruise trip..but the little voice in my head says to me: yes, but you did what you had to do.

It's still a fight in my mind...and the worse is that people don't understand I just can't enjoy leasure time because I don't know how it feels enjoying in their way. And to make things worse I have ADHD too, what brings up my chaotic side of OCPD very easily. In other words: my mind becomes a battle field and I just lose and lose it. Actually, Im'still in a phase of seeing the "beauty"of being an OCPD, what is very tricky we all know, I really need to accept and understand that this is a disorder and not the perfect and good way of living.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

vacations.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: vacations....   vacations.... Empty

Back to top Go down

vacations....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
O.C.P.D./A.P.D. Support Forum :: Discussion Area :: Is This Normal?-
Jump to: