Our purpose is to provide support and advice to those struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Anankastic Personality Disorder.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
New Users: You must [1] Register [2] Post to Mission Statement & Guidelines [3] Post an Introduction . . . to be activated as a member. Smile

Share | 

Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Books   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 3:54 pm

This a section to suggest books that have been useful to you, or to others in your life, when dealing with O.C.P.D. or A.P.D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ocpd.forumotion.net
meerkat
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Books   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 7:32 pm

"The Obsessive Personality" Salzman, Leon

"Autonomy and Rigid Character" Shapiro, David

"The Power of Now" Tolle, Eckhart

"A New Earth" Tolle, Eckhart

"Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" Burns, David

"A New Guide to Rational Living" Ellis, Albert & Robert A. Harper

"Plato, not Prozac!" Marinoff, Lou (he's a philosophical counselor)

"Beyond Psychology" Rank, Otto

"The Meaning of Anxiety" May, Rollo

[I'm also including some books that critique the mental health field. I think one of the reasons why so many people don't get better after seeing a therapist is that psychotherapy and drug therapy aren't nearly as effective as the mental health industry and drug companies want us to believe. Yes, we can be stubborn and resistant to change, but that's only part of the story.]

"Cultures of Healing" Fancher, Robert (a critique of the mental health field by a psychologist who also has a Ph. D. in philosophy

"The Undiscovered Mind" Horgan, John

"The Death of Psychotherapy" Eisner, Donald (a critique of psychotherapy by an attorney who specializes in lawsuits regarding psychological issues)

"Pseudoscience in Biological Psychiatry" edited by Ross, Colin A. & Alvin Pam

"The Myth of Mental Illness" Szasz, Thomas

"The Myth of Psychotherapy" Szasz, Thomas

"Junk Science" Agin, Dan (there's a chapter entitled "The Talk Therapy Flea Market")

Please comment on this list. I'd love to hear what you think, and whether you like these books or not. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danae
Admin
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Books   Tue 15 Sep 2009, 12:55 am

I definitely think I'm going to check out "The Obsessive Personality," "Beyond Psychology," and "The Myth of Mental Illness" first. I need to get through my Psychology books for school first, and then I'll check them out. Smile Thanks for this great list of choices!! Which ones were the most beneficial to you and why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
meerkat
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Books   Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:34 pm

Danae wrote:
Which ones were the most beneficial to you and why?

"The Obsessive Personality"----really helped me understand myself better

"Autonomy and Rigid Character"---same as above (chapter 3 of this book is about ocd)

"Feeling Good"----best self-help book I've read. Clearly written, easy to read, explains cognitive psychology very well.

"A New Guide to Rational Living"----Albert Ellis is the grandfather of cognitive psychology and he & Dr. Harper share their wisdom here

"The Power of Now"----an interesting angle on psychology---emphasizes mindfulness and awareness of the present moment

"Cultures of Healing"---I felt better after reading this because I could see why talk therapy hasn't helped me very much

Of course, all these books are really good. I recommend all of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
meerkat
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Books   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 4:15 pm

Danae wrote:
I definitely think I'm going to check out "The Obsessive Personality," "Beyond Psychology," and "The Myth of Mental Illness" first. I need to get through my Psychology books for school first, and then I'll check them out. Smile Thanks for this great list of choices!! Which ones were the most beneficial to you and why?

Have you read any of these books? If so, which ones, and what was your impression?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danae
Admin
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Books   Fri 11 Dec 2009, 6:56 pm

I haven't gotten the chance to access any of these books yet. I was hoping to find some at the library, but our library doesn't carry books like this, apparently. I may not be able to get to read some of these books until Summer, simply because now the only books I have time to read are textbooks for school.

PostSubject: Re: Books   

Back to top Go down

Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1