Our purpose is to provide support and advice to those struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Anankastic Personality Disorder.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
New Users: You must [1] Register [2] Post to Mission Statement & Guidelines [3] Post an Introduction . . . to be activated as a member. Smile

Share | 

Diagnoses, useful or not? Also, any Australia specific info?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thefire49
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Diagnoses, useful or not? Also, any Australia specific info?   Sun 24 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm

Hi,
I discovered a couple of years ago that OCPD was my problem. I struggled with mental health issues for years and was misdiagnosed and mistreated so many times. But I finally worked it out for myself.
Generally, I cope fairly well with a very understanding partner, but I still do have struggles which sometimes leave me 'stuck' in areas of my life and unable to progress. There are many things I think could be improved. I don't know how I would have coped so long if it weren't for my partner being so understanding and loving!

A few months ago, I went on a search for a therapist with experience with OCPD who I could do some CBT with.
I had a lot of trouble finding anyone in Melbourne who knows much about it at all.
I was referred to some BPD therapists and OCD therapists.... not the same at all!
In the end, I settled on a local psychologist who has a good reputation in my area for her CBT work.
I have been working with her weekly for a few months now, and I do find her helpful. She challenges some of my beliefs which are problematic. But I do feel that she doesn't really understand me or where I am coming from.
I would like very much to find someone around Melbourne who has some experience with OCPD.
Can anybody help me?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has found that getting an official diagnosis is actually helpful?
I already know for sure that OCPD perfectly describes me and that I meet all the DSM-IV criteria.
What are the benefits to getting an official diagnosis?
I'm not sure I could find anyone near here who could even give me an official diagnosis...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, KC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thefire49
O.C.P.D. Member

PostSubject: Re: Diagnoses, useful or not? Also, any Australia specific info?   Tue 16 Apr 2013, 6:18 am

I guess there are not many Australian's here?

The other thing (which applies to anyone here diagnosed with OCPD), is:
has being diagnosed helped you with your treatment, getting assistance or coping strategies?
I'd really appreciate some advice?
Regards,
KC
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Diagnoses, useful or not? Also, any Australia specific info?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1